Thursday, August 03, 2006

Research: Tetanus shot lowers MS risk


Did you get a tetanus shot as a kid? I'm pretty sure I did. Researchers think the shot might lower the risk of MS. Snip:
Dr. Miguel A. Hernan and colleagues from Harvard School of Public Health pooled data from nine studies published between 1966 and 2005 that looked at the association between tetanus vaccination and MS risk. Analyses centered on a total of 963 MS cases and 3126 controls.

They found that a history of having been immunized against tetanus was associated with a 33 percent decrease in risk of MS. The results of the current meta-analysis suggest that tetanus vaccination may prevent or delay the development of MS. The investigators call for further epidemiologic research to assess the role of timing of immunization and the number of doses associated with this protective effect. Link.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Hmm...well, I worked in medicine and got my tetanus shot every 10 years as recommended.

Anonymous said...

And I thought tetanus shots just protected me from rusty nails...who knew?!? Those Harvard folks are cutting edge...

Linda D. in Seattle

mdmhvonpa said...

Durn it. I got shots like clockwork and it didnt seem to work. As a kid, I was rather reckless and spent a lot of time in the hospital waiting room for stiches, stomach evacuations and casts. Ahhh, the vigor of youth.