Monday, August 08, 2005

The joy of getting things done


Our 'B' car is a 1993 Geo Prizm with 154,000 miles on it. I love this car. We've had it since 1997, and it's been very, very good to us. Recently, in the hot, humid weather we've been having, it started stalling intermittently. Our favorite shop was so busy that they wouldn't be able to get to it for a couple weeks, but suggested some tune-up stuff: replacing plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. I figured I could probably do it and save a few bucks.

It took me about an hour and a half, not counting the two or three popsicle breaks I took. The job wasn't complex, but it took a few trips to the toolbox and some time standing bent over with my head under the hood. After I got the right assortment of crescent wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets, etc., and some advice from my neighbor, it was pretty easy. God help me, the car actually started right up afterward, and appears to be fixed [imagine a wood knocking sound].

If I need something like that done again, I'll probably pay someone to do it. But it felt good to be able to do it myself.

No comments: