Friday, July 29, 2005

Frist: Cell, yes.

Interesting to see that senator/physician Bill Frist has veered from the social-conservative script and spoken in favor of expanding federal funding for stem-cell research. I'm pleased, because Frist's support is important, and may lead to a change in federal policy on the issue. Nevertheless, it sure smells like an effort by a man with presidential ambitions to move toward the center. Will this redeem the man for his role in the Terry Schiavo circus? Probably not.

2 comments:

lisagill said...

On the note of stem cell research, I worked with a sculptor to do a gallery (called "The Nerve") about MS. One of the pieces is a 5 foot tall steel DNA strand with rungs made from used copaxone syringes. Each syringe is filled with items that can help or theoretically hurt MS (ie. milk, lentils, licorice, tobacco...) or detritus that relates (elastic bands for spasticity and for the "elasticity" and maleability of the human spirit). At any rate, one of my hopes for the piece was that it would suggest stem cell research. We just delivered it to be installed in another gallery today, so given your post, I thought I'd respond.

Also, I set up a blog (just getting started) with poems at thenerveofms.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. In the future I hope to do essays. Yours are inspiring.

I'm dying to know, are you a writer? Or do you work with words for your living? You're very good.

Doug Lee-Knowles said...

You're too kind. I'm a lawyer, and I work with words all day long. It would be a stretch to say that I'm a 'writer,' though.