Friday, June 11, 2010

I'm really, really self-conscious today

A casual Friday in summer seems like a good day for one's first try with an external catheter, or what the packing calls an "incontinence management device" (IMD). Today, I'm experimenting with a device called the GeeWhiz, an award-winning variation on the condom catheter. In a nutshell, it differs from the usual setup in that the "condom" is held in place not just by taping around the outside but also by a piece of double-sided sticky silicone on the inside as well. (You can see a creepy diagram here) We'll see if this clever design is worth the added expense--a 10-pack of daily use kits plus a leg bag and bed bag costs $59.95 + $10 shipping.

Putting the thing on wasn't too bad, but if I'm going to use this thing on a regular basis, I'm definitely going to need to give myself a trim in that region. And the tube that extends to the leg bag is definitely visible through my khakis.

No comments: